GRT buses will continue to operate on route in winter weather conditions, except when roads are closed/impassable or detours are needed. Plan to allow more time for travel in winter weather conditions, as buses may be delayed.
During adverse weather conditions, check for service updates before you leave:
- Check local TV and radion stations for weather and traffic conditions
- Check the News section of this website for updates
- Follow us on Twitter for service updates
- Contact customer service at 519-585-7555 (TTY: 519-575-4608)
Winter safety tips
- If there's no traffic going by your bus stop, your road may be closed or impassible. Walk to a stop on a nearby or busy street.
- If your bus stop is on a hill or steep slope, walk to the next stop at the bottom or top of the hill so that the bus can safely stop to pick you up.
- During slippery and wet conditions stand back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop so as to avoid sliding or slipping under the bus.
- Keep in mind your bus may not pull all the way over to the curb, to avoid getting stuck. You may have to step into the road to board.
- Dress warmly! Winter days can be quite cold. Start with a base, such as long undergarments, and then add a few mid-layers topped with a water-proof or wind-proof shell jacket. The moisture management will keep you well insulated, and your temperature consistent. Don't forget a hat, scarf, mitts and/or gloves.
Road conditions affect ALL traffic, so buses may experience delays at times. To be safe and on time to your destination, always leave earlier than your normal time, dress warmly, expect delays and make sure you're visible when it's dark out.