Winter Weather Tips for GRT Riders
When taking the bus during snowy or icy weather:
- Find out where to get service information. Conditions can change quickly. Before you leave, get the latest updates. Check the website for detours and other service changes or call the customer service centre for more information (519-585-7555 TTY: 519-575 4608).
- Check local TV and radio stations for weather and traffic conditions.
- You can also follow us on Twitter to get news on service.
- Plan more time into your commute. You may need to take an earlier bus to arrive to your destination on time when weather conditions are not ideal.
- Remember that the Trip Planner shows the scheduled arrival times for the bus, but during adverse weather conditions, the bus can be delayed.
Buses will operate on route during all types of weather conditions, except when detours may be needed or the roads are impassible. If service is not possible due to severe weather, notices will be posted to the public via the media, website, automated message system and Twitter.
Winter Safety Tips for Customers:
- If there's no traffic going by your bus stop, your road may be closed or impassible. Walk to a stop on a nearby or busy street.
- If your bus stop is on a hill or steep slope, walk to the next stop at the bottom or top of the hill so that the bus can safely stop to pick you up.
- During slippery and wet conditions stand back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop so as to avoid sliding or slipping under the bus.
- Keep in mind your bus may not pull all the way over to the curb, to avoid getting stuck. You may have to step into the road to board.
- Dress warmly! Winter days can be quite cold. Start with a base, such as long undergarments, and then add a few mid-layers topped with a water-proof or wind-proof shell jacket. The moisture management will keep you well insulated, and your temperature consistent. Don't forget a hat, scarf, mitts and/or gloves.
Road conditions affect ALL traffic, so buses may experience delays at times. To be safe and on time to your destination, always leave earlier than your normal time, dress warmly, expect delays and make sure you're visible when it's dark out.