Tax Credit

A GRT monthly pass holders are eligible for a federal public transit tax credit on their annual income tax return. To claim a tax credit, you must retain your monthly pass for each month claimed.

Students at the two Waterloo universities must keep tuition statements because their tuition includes the cost of using a student card as a bus pass.

If you purchased a Corporate Pass, refer to box 84 on your T4 slip.

The value of each GRT monthly pass is marked on the back of the pass. Be sure to fill out and sign your pass to ensure it is valid. GRT is not responsible for replacing lost passes.

Note: GRT Terminals and fare agents will not issue receipts for passes purchased. You must keep your pass.

Frequently asked questions

Q:  How much can I claim?

A:  You can claim the full amount paid for a public transit pass, or for the cost of passes for multiple transit systems (see last question). The tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit, which means that the amount you claim is multiplied by the lowest personal income tax rate for the year (currently 15 per cent), then deducted from your tax payable.

Q:  I use more than one method of public transit to commute. Can I claim more than one type of pass?

A:  Yes, you can claim the full amount of any combination of transit passes.

Q:  Can I claim the credit on behalf of my family?

A:  Yes, you can claim the tax credit for public transit passes on behalf of your spouse, common-law partner and your children under age 19 if those amounts have not been claimed by someone else.

Q:  Where is the credit on my tax form?

A: The credit is found on Line 364 (Public transit passes) of the Federal Tax Schedule 1. Enter the total value of all passes being claimed. If you file a paper return, do not send in any receipts or your passes, but be sure to keep them in case you are asked to show them at a later date. If you file electronically, keep all documents.

Q:  Where can I get more information about the tax credit?

A:  Additional information is available on the Canada Revenue Agency website Click here.